in 1938 at 914 E. Academy at a cost of $2000.00,
today the Cattleman's Brenham Livestock Co. is the oldest continuously operated
livestock commission sales barn in South Central Texas.
Mr. Gus Grabow purchased an
additional 27 1/4 acres on Hwy 90. Six
weeks later, he built a 35,000 sq. ft. building and yards to accommodate 2000
cattle. At a grand opening in October 1948, the sale
barn of 67,000 sq. ft., boasted of air-conditioned sales arena, lobby, office
and ultra modern cafe and luxurious cushioned seats for buyers.
In 1951 he purchased an additional 2 acres
that fronted the highway, to provide extra parking for customers. The
plant provided its own water system. All livestock weighed on tested
Toledo Electric Scales. The main building included 50 ton air conditioning
units and central heating system. The livestock yards could accommodate
Mr. Grabow sold the stockyard in February 1960 to Oscar
Bode Jr. Port City Stockyards purchased the property in 1972. Mark & Scottie
Schwartz completed the purchase of the stockyards on January 1, 2009.